March 9, 2007

Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake

I've been meaning to upload this picture for quite a while, I finally found the time tonight.

I made the most delicious red velvet cake for Valentines Day. A tradition my mom started long ago that I though I would have to break. Nope no way! I made it gluten free and it was GOOD!

I adapted the recipe from a few others and then tried a few new tricks to see if I could add height to my cake. The tricks worked and I am going to keep doing them! I used my most favorite gluten free flour, Tom Sawyer !

Here is the recipe plus my tricks! No secrets here just good cake! I want your cake to be as wonderful as mine. Please let me know if you try this!

3/4 cups unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/2 cups Tom Sawyer flour sifted
1/4 up cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 2 egg whites (total of 4 eggs see directions. I separated these for a reason)
1 tablespoon vanilla (I always add a bit more GF flours need more flavors)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 bottles of red food coloring
3 tablespoons warm water
1 cup butter milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350

Butter two 8 inch cake pans, line with parchment paper and butter again. Dust pans with cocoa and tap out the excess. Set aside.

In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 15 minutes. Add 2 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla, salt, food coloring, and water; beat scraping down the sides of the bowl until well combined. Add reserved dry ingredients (except for baking soda) alternating with the buttermilk. beat on low speed until well combined.

In a separate bowl beat egg whit until medium peaks form (room temperature eggs beat best)

In a small bowl swirl baking soda and vinegar together. Add to batter. beat on medium speed for about 5 seconds. Fold in egg white mixture (this helps give your cake height) Divide batter between prepared pans, and bake until a cake tester inserted int other center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool (15 minutes) turn cakes out ont0 rack and let stand until completely cool.

Cream Cheese Frosting for Cake:

1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
8oz cream cheese room temperature
1 cup confectioners sugar sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
(optional) 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Place butter in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add cream cheese and beat until well combined and fluffy (about 2 minutes) Add sugar and vanilla, and beat until combined, (about 2 minutes) . Fold in walnuts or pecans if using them.

No comments: