January 19, 2007

2007 30th Annual CSA Conference- Tuson, Arizona

I was fiddling around on the computer today and found out that the Celiac Sprue Association is having their annual conference in Tucson, Arizona! I can't wait to go! My daughter can play with her grandparents and I can learn a lot about Celiac Disease! Registration will begin sometime this summer!

I've also been thinking a lot about having my ducks in a row for for when my daughter begins school (I know its a long time away). After teaching for 4 years I am convinced that any child with Celiac disease should be on a 504 plan to help insure that they will remain gluten free out of the home. I guess there is some controversy about this because people don't want their kid to be "labeled" but I know a legal document makes teachers and schools think 2 or 3 times before they give things to kids and thats what I want... and insurance policy! Especially since I live in a great but backward school district. I can see a teacher thinking that I am just a paranoid mom and giving my daughter a cupcake because all the other kids got one too! His/her heart might be in the right place but not his/her brain!

I've found a Parents guide to Section 504. I'm glad I looked into it so early because I have identified several problems with get tining the school to go along with a 504 plan. At least now I have time to do some research to counter what they have to say!

No comments: