January 27, 2007

MRSA strikes again

I woke up this morning and was blessed with "polka-dots" much like my daughters. We had planned on visiting the Austin Children's Museum but instead spent that time waiting at the Dr. after hours clinic. I too have contracted the staff infection, thank god for antibiotics! I only have about 11 spots but they are sore when touched.

While we were out we decided to stop by Wild Wood Art Cafe and grab lunch. I've been there before because nearly everything on their menu is gluten free. My husband had a hot pastrami sandwich, and my daughter and I split a pork enchilada. We were all happy with our lunch choices but today I decided to take advantage of their baked goods section. My daughter had a gluten free ding-dong and loved it! My husband had the richest chocolate cake (also gluten free), and I tried the Italian creme cake! They were just amazing I really have no words for them. I'm hoping that someday they will offer gluten free baking classes I would love to get a few tips from them!

On a side note:
Play Dough has been my biggest issue lately. I really would like my daughter to start playing with it. I've made it myself but I'm lazy and really just want something that comes out of a tub like the real thing. I've found it! Like most gluten free products it is a bit more expensive but to me its worth the extra price Colorations Gluten Free Dough. If you are interested in the GF homemade recipe here is the one I've had the best luck with: (From the Celiac Sprue Association's Website)

½ cup rice flour
½ cup cornstarch
½ cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon cooking oil
Food coloring, if desired

Directions:

Mix ingredients. Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until it forms a ball. Cool completely before storing in a sealable plastic bag.

No comments: