January 11, 2007

Bread Success

Almost immediately after finding out my daughter had Celiac Disease my husband and I went out and bought a bread machine. We ended up getting the Cuisinart one that had a gluten free setting. Until yesterday I had just been making gluten free bread from store bought mixes (all I can say is YUCK!) Though beautiful looking breads they just tasted horrible.

For Christmas I received The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread by Bette Hagmen. I decided to try her recipe for Seattle Sourdough!

My Game plan:
3 days before bread making day I started a gluten free sourdough started: Basically just some warm water, yeast, a bit of sugar, and some rice flour. And I let it sit and ferment

On day 4 I cooked a small loaf of bread! It was a success! Both my daughter and husband at it with out pitching a fit! It's still not the same as full of gluten bread but it did not have the nasty aftertaste that the mixes had!

I can't wait to try again!

No comments: