January 5, 2007

What does a gluten free pantry look like?

In three months my pantry, fridge, and freezer have quickly taken on a major over haul. It would have been very helpful for me to see just what a gluten free kitchen/pantry looks like but I learned the hard and expensive way. (Nearly $30 extra a week at the beginning) Anyhow I have put together a list of what I keep around the house in case any of you are wondering where to start.

Here is what I stock in my pantry now: (All of it gluten free)

Flours: Potato starch/flour, cornstarch, cornmeal, Pamela's baking mix, and Tom Sawyer Flour (I have to mail order this)

Fats: 0 Trans fat Shortening, vegetable or corn oil depending on
whats on sale when I need it, butter, Smart Balance, and non stick spray-no alcohol! *I don't use margarine at all.

Sugars: white sugar, powdered sugar, corn syrup, honey, maple syrup,
and molasses

Leavening: Baking powder (you do need to read labels on baking powder
some have flour added to them), baking soda, yeast

Stabilizers/ Gums: Cream of tartar, xanthan gum, guar gum,
carrageenan (when I can find it) and Karaya gum

Flavorings: Vanilla Flavoring, Lemon Flavoring, and almond flavoring
(check with the companies to make sure the alcohol used is gluten free I've never found any that contain gluten)

Nuts and other stuff: cocoa, unsweetened chocolate, coconut, semi
sweet chocolate chips, food colorings, peanut butter

Spices/herbs: salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, sage, oregano,
rosemary, bay leaf, basil, seasoned salt, pepper, red peppr, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, tumeric, cumin, and cardamom (most of mine are McCormicks)

Whole Grains: rice, and Flax Seed (not sure if its a grain but I don
know where else to put this)

Vinegars: white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and Balsamic Vinegar
(the good stuff its expensive)

Wine: I always have a dry white, a desert wine, and a Merlot on hand


Canned stuff: Applesauce, pumpkin, pineapple, jelly/jam, refried
beans, baked beans, chicken broth, canned chicken, evaporate milk, sweetened condensed milk, tomato paste, pasta sauce, black beans

Baking Mixes: Pamela's brownie mix, Pamela's chocolate cake mix,
Gluten free Panntry bread mixes, gluten free pancake mix, unflavored gelatin

Pastas: Gluten free Mac and Cheese, Gluten free spirals, Gluten free
penne, and gluten free spaghetti (occasionally I get Lasagna noodles but not often)

Cereal: Perky'0, Gorilla Munch, Bobs Red Mill hot GF cereal


Snack bars: GF breakfast bars, and Lara bars, Jello Pudding


Here is what I have in my fridge (not including leftovers)


Diary: Milk whole and 1%, butter milk (not all the time I get this 1
time a month) cottage cheese, cream cheese, unflavored yogurt, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, sour cream, mozzarella, and ricotta cheese

Juice: Lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice (in the freezer for
cooking) to drink cranberry or blueberry juice

Eggs (large)


Meats: I buy in bulk so I always have this stuff on hand.... roast
beef, ground beef, smoked sausage, Italian sausage, ham, chicken, pork lion, pork chops, steak, flank steak

Fresh or frozen fruits and veggies (if in season I get fresh if not I
get frozen or if its cheaper to get frozen I do that too): apples, bananas, peaches, raisins, craisins, blue berries, strawberries, orange, cranberries, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrots, bell peppers, green beans, peas, broccoli, corn]

I've found that I can just about make ANYTHING from a regular
cookbook using these ingredients... I use the Tom Sawyer Flour only for baking cookies and thickening gravy.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is SOOO helpful- thank you.

I am a mom with a 2 year old with celiac disease too!