January 18, 2007

Amazing Gluten Free Breadsticks and they are easy too!

I guess the cold weather has motivated me to bake a little more lately. Its a nice way to warm up the house and it smells so good, especially when you come in from the icy cold weather! Anyhow last night I had a taste for bread sticks with our spaghetti but it was already 4pm when I decided this and we usually eat at 6 so I needed to find something that was gluten free, simple, and fast!

I searched through my cookbooks and found a recipe that I modified (I was missing an ingredient) Anyhow here is what I did.... my husband loved them and said "Is this gluten free??" in shock because they were so good!

Recipe:
1/4 cup shortening
3 Tablespoons honey
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of yeast (thats 1 packet if you dont have the jar kind of yeast)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup potato starch (not flour)
1 1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vinegar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients and mix well to remove all lumps (I used a hand held mixer on high)

Place the really moist sticky dough in a plastic bag with a corner cut out (or a pastry bag if you have one) and pipe dough onto a greased baking sheet (about 5-8 inches long). Sprinkle with a topping of your desire or bake as is (I used garlic and other herbs but sesame seeds or cheese would have been wonderful too) Bake till golden brown (about 10 minutes in my oven).

I'm going to try this recipe again this weekend only piping the sticks into hot oil to see if I can create a "fry bread" or funnel cake type of thing! I'll post how it works on Sunday!

No comments: